Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Cleaning out the ol' junk drawer

Sometimes, I feel like my brain's junk drawer is full.

It is hard to get more stuff in my head, because there isn't room for it. If I look in my House's junk drawer I find:

pack of seeds
2 kinds of tape
inner tube repair kit
super glue
Velcro stickers
Garden gloves
And about a million things I may or may not ever use.

When I look in my head, I find almost the same stuff:

Ideas that I've had that I haven’t brought to fruition
Ideas to keep relationships together
Weird stories
Love
Laughter
Sorrow
And about a million things I may or may not ever use.

Lucky for you, I'm going to use this space as a place to sort out the old junk drawer. Does this mean I'm adding things to the junk drawer, or taking them out. Let’s be real, how often do people really take things out of the junk drawer unless they are using them? Not very often. In fact, junk drawers usually get bigger...and/or they get other drawers added to them, so they take up two.

I remember going through my Grandma's junk drawer. I was fascinated by some of the stuff that had been in it longer than I'd been around. Old buttons, old combs, and old things that I had no idea what they were.

I think that sometimes we are embarrassed by what is in our junk drawers. I'm sure I'll be embarrassed by what is in my mind's junk drawer, but I'll try not to embarrass you.

Check back from time to time, I'll try to update this blog often enough to keep things interesting, but not so much that you feel that you can't keep up.

Peace,

DaveO

No comments: